Information provided by Jeff Muscato. Thanks much.
- Insert a new image where you want the counter ("Insert | Image" or click the toolbar icon).
- Choose the "Other Location" tab of the dialog box, and click the radio button for "From Location."
- Type in the URL for your counter, including any special controls you want regarding how your counter will look. Click "OK".
- Right click the counter image (if you're offline, it will give an "image not available" generic icon) and choose "Image Properties."
- Type a text description for the counter to display while the image is loading (something short, since the counter image won't be very big and anything longer than a few characters will be cut off by the border of the image -- I recommend the date it was started in the MM/DD/YY format).
- Click the "Appearance" tab of the dialog box, and make sure "Specify Size" is not selected -- if it is, Frontpage will specify the size as however big the counter image currently is. When the counter gains a digit, browsers will try to squeeze it all into the same size space and it will not look right.